NURS 6050 Week 1 Legislation Comparison Grid Paper
Legislation Comparison Grid Template
Use this document to complete Part 1 of the Module 2 Assessment Legislation Comparison Grid and Testimony/Advocacy Statement
|Health-related Bill Name||S.402, Survivors Access to Supportive Care Act or SASCA.|
With the passage of this legislation, more victims of sexual assault will have access to medical forensic assault examinations and S.A.N.E.-trained clinicians’ therapy. Holding hospitals responsible for staff training on how to care for sexual assault victims is part of that. SASCA would go under the Department of Health and Human Services (Congress.Gov). H
|Federal or State?||Federal|
Patty Murray is the third highest-ranking Democrat in the Senate and the highest-ranking woman. She is a strong supporter of the Affordable Care Act and women’s health issues.
Her goal is to involve CMS and the government in penalizing hospitals for noncompliance of the SASCA. Her aim is to establish Federal Standards for examinations and treatments of sexual assault victims. ( Patty Murray website)
There are cosponsors from both Republican and Democratic Part.
|Target Population||Survivors of sexual assault and the health care facilities who provide care for them. It would also recognize forensic nursing for the specialty it is.|
|Status of the bill|
|(Is it in hearings or committees? Is it receiving press coverage?)||This bill was re-introduced.
It is scheduled for committee. An earlier version of the bill was introduced May 18 2016, and July 12, 2018. There has been no press coverage. NURS 6050 Week 1 Legislation Comparison Grid Paper
I have worked at the same ED for eight years. In 2015 the two SANE nurses that worked 30 miles away left. Our area was now without any SANE trained staff. Myself and a coworker attended an extensive training with SANE that took five days and over 40 hours. It included interview techniques and examinations with real victims as well as practiced court time.
While I was fully capable of following the directions for the SAK before my training, I often rushed the process and failed to completely bond with my client or put the appropriate work and detail into the exam. After the training I learned to treat SAK with the same precision I would a complicated trauma or MI. I spend much more time forming a relationship with my client and this improves their experience and their after-care.
NURS 6050 Week 1 Legislation Comparison Grid Paper References
Congress.GOV. Retrieved from: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate- bill/402/text
United States Senator Patty Murray, Working for Washington State website. Retrieved from:https://www.murray.senate.gov/public/
Assignment: Agenda Comparison Grid and Fact Sheet or Talking Points Brief
It may seem to you that healthcare has been a national topic of debate among political leaders for as long as you can remember.
Healthcare has been a policy item and a topic of debate not only in recent times but as far back as the administration of the second U.S. president, John Adams. In 1798, Adams signed legislation requiring that 20 cents per month of a sailor’s paycheck be set aside for covering their medical bills. This represented the first major piece of U.S. healthcare legislation, and the topic of healthcare has been woven into presidential agendas and political debate ever since.
As a healthcare professional, you may be called upon to provide expertise, guidance and/or opinions on healthcare matters as they are debated for inclusion into new policy. You may also be involved in planning new organizational policy and responses to changes in legislation. For all of these reasons you should be prepared to speak to national healthcare issues making the news.
In this Assignment, you will analyze recent presidential healthcare agendas. You also will prepare a fact sheet to communicate the importance of a healthcare issue and the impact on this issue of recent or proposed policy.
- Review the agenda priorities of the current/sitting U.S. president and the two previous presidential administrations.
- Select an issue related to healthcare that was addressed by each of the last three U.S. presidential administrations.
- Reflect on the focus of their respective agendas, including the allocation of financial resources for addressing the healthcare issue you selected.
- Consider how you would communicate the importance of a healthcare issue to a legislator/policymaker or a member of their staff for inclusion on an agenda.
The Assignment: (1- to 2-page Comparison Grid, 1-Page Analysis, and 1-page narrative) with a title page, an introduction, purpose statement, and a conclusion. This is an APA paper.
Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid
Use the Agenda Comparison Grid Template found in the Learning Resources and complete the Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid based on the current/sitting U.S. president and the two previous presidential administrations and their agendas related to the public health concern you selected. Be sure to address the following:
- Identify and provide a brief description of the population health concern you selected and the factors that contribute to it.
- Describe the administrative agenda focus related to the issue you selected.
- Identify the allocations of financial and other resources that the current and two previous presidents dedicated to this issue.
- Explain how each of the presidential administrations approached the issue.
- At least 3 resources must be used
Part 2: Agenda Comparison Grid Analysis
Using the information you recorded in Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid on the template, complete the Part 2: Agenda Comparison Grid Analysis portion of the template, by addressing the following:
- Which administrative agency would most likely be responsible for helping you address the healthcare issue you selected?
- How do you think your selected healthcare issue might get on the agenda for the current and two previous presidents? How does it stay there?
- Who would you choose to be the entrepreneur/ champion/sponsor of the healthcare issue you selected for the current and two previous presidents?
Part 3: Narrative
Using the information recorded on the template in Parts 1 and 2, develop a 1-page narrative that you could use to communicate with a policymaker/legislator or a member of their staff for this healthcare issue. Be sure to address the following:
- Summarize why this healthcare issue is important and should be included in the agenda for legislation.
- Justify the role of the nurse in agenda setting for healthcare issues.
- The response fully integrates at least 2 outside resources and 2-3 course specific resources that fully supports the summary provided.
By Day 7 of Week 2
Submit your final version of Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid, Part 2: Agenda Comparison Grid Analysis, and Part 3: Narrative.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK2Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Week 2 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 2 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK2Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
To access your rubric:
Week 2 Assignment Rubric
Check Your Assignment Draft for Authenticity
To check your Assignment draft for authenticity:
Submit your Week 2 Assignment draft and review the originality report.
Submit Your Assignment by Day 7 of Week 2
To submit your Assignment:
Week 2 Assignment
NURS 6050 Policy and Advocacy Module 2: Legislation (Week 3-4)
Discussion: Politics and The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
Most citizens often grow concerned when considering whether the interests of the government work in favor of the topics of interest to them. The healthcare system is no different. Some individuals feel federal, local, and state policies and legislation may either benefit society or be hindered by their interests.
To prepare for this module, you need to analyze the learning resources and reflect on the efforts to replace or repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Evaluate who benefits the most from this policy development and implementation.
Assignment: Legislation Grid and Testimony/Advocacy Statement
As a nurse, it’s important to realize that there is a lot you can do to make things work differently in the healthcare system. You have a role and a voice, so most nurses are beginning to venture into advocacy. This hopes to impact policies, laws, and regulations that affect healthcare issues. Although most nurses are skeptical about diving into the unfamiliar world of policies and politics, the reward is the opportunity to influence future health policies.
To prepare for this Assignment, you need to select a proposed bill (not one that has been enacted) from the learning resources provided. The Assignment comprises two parts, the Legislation grid and the Legislation testimony/advocacy statement.
Part 1: Legislation Grid
This is a one-to-two-page paper whereby you will use the proposed bill you selected to complete the grid. Address the following:
- The legislative intent of the bill you selected
- The proponents/opponents of the bill
- Target populations addressed in the bill
- The current progress of the bill. Is it hearings or committees?
Part 2: Legislation Testimony/Advocacy Statement
Based on the information you acquired from the proposed bill you selected, address the following:
- Advocate a position in the bill you chose and support your post using a written testimony
- Give a description of how you would handle the opponent in your situation. Be specific and provide examples
- Provide two outside resources and two-to-three course-specific resources
NURS 6050 Policy and Advocacy Module 3: Regulation (Week 5-6)
Discussion: Professional Nursing and State-Level Regulations
Boards of Nursing (BONs) exist in all 50 states, American Samoa, the District of Columbia, the Virgin Islands, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands. BONs aim to protect the public through the regulation of nursing practice. These boards highlight state/region regulations that all nurses must follow to get licensed.
These regulations may differ from one state/region to another. It’s essential to compare these regulations. This helps nurses who may require licenses in multiple areas or states. It also helps share insights that can be useful in case of future changes in a state/region.
- Review the learning resources and analyze the mission of BONs in protecting the public through nursing practice regulation.
- Analyze how key regulations can affect nursing practice.
- Evaluate the critical regulations for nursing practice in your state/region’s BON and those of one other board.
Assignment: Regulation for Nursing Practice Staff Development Meeting
Nursing is a profession with various regulations. There are over 1000 nursing boards and national nursing associations across the United States. They aim to regulate, promote, and inform the nursing profession. Due to the large number of these entities, it’s challenging to distinguish between a BON and a national nursing association. It’s also difficult to evaluate the benefits and options offered by each.
Both of these bodies significantly impact the nursing profession and scope of practice. Once you understand the differences, you can build your expertise as a professional. In this Assignment, you need to compare the boards of nursing and national nursing associations. You must also provide an analysis of your state’s BON.
To prepare, you will assume you are the head of a staff development meeting on nursing practice regulation at your healthcare agency. Evaluate the ACA and the NCSBN websites to prepare for your presentation.
The Assignment (8-to-9-slide PowerPoint presentation)
This Assignment comprises an 8-to-9-slide PowerPoint presentation that addresses the following:
- The differences between a board of nursing and a national nursing association
- Describe your state/region’s BON
- Who are the members of the board?
- What are the criteria for joining the board?
- One state regulation related to the scope of nursing practice
- What is the influence of this regulation on a nurse’s role?
- How does it influence delivery, cost, and access to healthcare?
- Describe one state regulation related to Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRNs)
- How does it impact the nursing role?
- How does it affect delivery, cost, and access to healthcare?
- Include speaker slides on each page except the title and reference page