Family Development Reflection Paper NURS 406
Family Development Reflection Paper NURS 406
College of Nursing and Health Sciences
COURSE: NURS 406 Nursing Care of the Family
TITLE OF ASSIGNMENT: Family Development Reflection Paper (35 points)
LEARNING ACTIVITY: Scholarly Paper
Once you have identified the family with whom you plan to complete your family visits, and your instructor has approved the family, you will want to begin preparing for the initial visit. In preparation for the first visit, you want to identify the family life cycle and associated developmental tasks as well as the life transition or developmental crisis the family is experiencing. Family Development Reflection Paper NURS 406
- Review assigned readings in the Shajani and Snell text (chapters 1-3).
- Research topics related to your clinical family using CINAHL. At least four scientific journal articles are required for this assignment. See sections two and three of the assignment for more information.
After completing a focused literature review that includes family development theory, behavior change theory, and best-practice evidence for family home visiting and family interventions, create a paper using the following format.
- Paper Format:
- Title Page
- Introduction: Describe the family you will be visiting and why you have selected this family. Identify the transition or developmental crisis they are experiencing.
- Section One: Theory based family nursing. The Shajani and Snell text describe several theories used to develop the CFAM/ CFIM models. Reflect on the transition or developmental crisis the family is experiencing and the theoretical underpinnings discussed in the assigned reading (chapter 2). Select from either the Systems, Communications or Change theory to answer the following questions.
- Briefly describe the theory you have selected.
- Given the life transition or developmental crisis your family is experiencing, select two concepts from within the selected theory and discuss how you will apply these concepts in working with the clinical family.
- Section Two: Family Life Cycle Stage: Identify the Family Life Cycle Stage of the family. Review the various family life cycles discussed in the text. Choose one appropriate for your clinical family and the life transition or developmental crisis you believe the family is experiencing. Describe the appropriate emotional transition processes, developmental tasks and attachments of the life cycle you’ve selected. Identify two appropriate questions to ask your clinical family based on this life cycle stage. Provide citations from both the Shajani and Snell textbook and at least two other scholarly resources that were published within the last ten years. Include citations.
- Section Three: Discuss nursing interventions within the context of family nursing. Identify the role of therapeutic conversations. Describe at least two differences between family nursing interventions and institutional interventions. Discuss at least two evidence-based research articles from the literature about family interventions that have been effective with families similar to the family you will be visiting. Include citations.
- Section Four: Reflect on how your approach to family visiting in the home setting will be different than working with a patient and his/her family in an institutional setting. Consider that you will be visiting family five times. Outline how you anticipate staging each visit to complete the home visiting process. This may change and that is okay.
- Reference List
- Your paper should be 3 – 5 pages double-spaced in 12-point font excluding title page and References. An introduction and conclusion are required for this assignment. Your citations and references should be in APA format.
- “I” statements may be used in this paper since much of the information provided is reflective in nature.
- At least 4 scholarly resources other than the textbook should be cited within the text and listed on the reference list.
- Review the grading rubric to make sure you have included all required components.
NURS 406 Scholarly – Family Development Reflection Paper Grading Rubric
|Paper Components and Expectations
· Description of client family
· Rationale for selection of client family
· Life transition and/or developmental crisis identified.
|Section One: Theory Based Family Nursing
· Describe theories used in CFAM/CFIM model
· Reflect on transition or developmental crisis with theoretical underpinnings
· Select Systems, Communications or Change theory
o Brief description of Theory
o Two concepts from theory chosen and how applying in working with family
|Section Two: Family Life Cycle Stage
· Identified Family Life Cycle Stage
· Developmental crisis and/or life transition clearly identified.
· Identified emotional, developmental, attachments to life cycle
· Identified 2 questions to ask family based on life cycle stage
· Clear and accurate decision/rationale given with text and 2 other scientific literature
· Include appropriate citations.
|Section Three: Nursing Interventions within Family Nursing
· Identified role of therapeutic conversations
· Described minimum 2 difference between family nursing / institutional interventions.
· Discuss at least two evidence-based research articles about family interventions that have been used effective with families similar to the family you will be visiting.
· Include appropriate citations
|Section Four Reflection
· Reflect on how your approach to family visiting in home setting will be different from patient/family in institutional setting
· Outline staging of planned visits
|Section Six: Conclusion
· Summarize the major themes from your paper
· Include appropriate citations
|Mechanics and Format
· Content is clear and well-developed.
· Ideas are organized, proper grammar and writing mechanics are used.
· Title page and Reference page present
· APA format is followed for citations and references.
· Paper posted by date on course calendar.
TOTAL POINTS ACHIEVED
@1-20 Deann Ober, @3-30 Revised LaRee Rowan
Family Development Deflection Excerpt
The family I will be visiting consists of parents and two children, one of whom has autism and is not receiving pharmacological treatment. The family is currently facing multiple challenges, including stress due to the care of their autistic child and feelings of neglect towards their other child. This family has been selected for observation because they are experiencing a developmental crisis, specifically in family dynamics and roles. As a nurse, it is essential to understand and support families in navigating these types of transitions and provide resources to help them cope with stress and maintain balance within the family unit.
Theory-Based Family Nursing
Using Systems Theory, Communications Theory, and Change Theory in nursing is essential for providing adequate care to families. These theories provide a framework for understanding the complex relationships and interactions within a family system and how they can influence health and well-being (Shajan & Snell, 2019). This particular family is experiencing a developmental crisis, a normal part of family development. They are struggling to balance the care of their autistic child while also attending to the needs of their other child. … Place Your Order Here For Complete Solution.
Conrad, C. E., Rimestad, M. L., Rohde, J. F., Petersen, B. H., Korfitsen, C. B., Tarp, S., & Händel, M. N. (2021). Parent-mediated interventions for children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 12, 773604. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8632873/
Dadfarnia, S., Sadeghi, M. S., & Panaghi, L. (2021). Investigating Couples’ Interactive Patterns at Three Stages of the Family Life Cycle. International Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 14(4), 191-198. http://www.behavsci.ir/article_121622.html
Deb, S. S., Retzer, A., Roy, M., Acharya, R., Limbu, B., & Roy, A. (2020). The effectiveness of parent training for children with autism spectrum disorder: a systematic review and meta-analyses. BMC Psychiatry, 20(1), 1-24. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33287762/
Shajan, Z., & Snell, D. (2019). Wright & Leahey’s nurses and families: A guide to family assessment and intervention. FA Davis.
Svavarsdottir, E. K., & Gisladottir, M. (2019). How do family strengths‐oriented therapeutic conversations (FAM‐SOTC) advance psychiatric nursing practice? Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 51(2), 214-224. https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12450
Research Assignment Instructions
External evidence is only one part of EBP. To be evidence-based, you must truly integrate the best external evidence with clinical expertise (which includes internal evidence generated by your organization that helps identify an issue that exists within your organization) and patient preferences and values.
Please respond to 1A & 1B in the discussion section.
1A: Share a time in your professional practice or your personal life when the patient was (or was not) brought in as a true collaborator in their care. How might this situation been handled differently?
NOTE: IN ORDER TO STAY IN LINE WITH HIPAA REQUIREMENTS, DO NOT USE THE TRUE NAMES OF PATIENTS OR ORGANIZATIONS IN YOUR POST!
1B: Go to the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute (Ottawa CA) at https://decisionaid.ohri.ca/ . Choose a patient decision aid and share your perception of the aid. Discuss how you might use it in your practice or personal life. Engage in conversation with fellow students around the aid they chose and ask questions, offer thoughts and/or provide commentary on your peers’ posts.